At the same time, the solar water pump is a comparatively new mechanism in water pumps. A solar water pump uses solar energy, or it can be said that it uses energy from the Sun for its operation. They can be used for irrigation, domestic use, and supply of drinking water.
The components of a Solar Water Pump
A solar water pump consists of a pump like any other water pump, controller, and of course, as its name implies, solar panels.
These require direct current (DC) to function, but some also require alternating current (AC). The pumps that use DC are generally more efficient than the ones that use AC.
If the pump requires alternating current, then the direct current created by the solar panels is converted to alternating current using an inverter.
A controller increases the lifetime of the solar water pump. It, in a way, protects the solar water pump. It controls the input and output power and provides voltage protection so that the system’s voltage.
It makes it more efficient in managing the voltage and heat production, and more heat can be produced with low maintenance.
Solar panels work with the use of photovoltaic cells (PV). It works only when there is sunlight, and the sunlight falls on the panel. These generate direct current.
Solar panels can be of different types, such as Mono-crystalline solar panels and Poly-crystalline solar panels. While mono-crystalline panels cost higher and also have higher efficiency, poly-crystalline panels cost lower and have less efficiency.
Types of Solar Water Pumps
- ☀️AC pumps work using alternating current. The direct current is converted to alternating current using an inverter in solar water pumps.
- ☀️DC pumps work using the direct current produced by the solar panels using solar energy.
- ☀️Submersible pumps, as the name suggests, remain submerged in the water. These are harder to install and cost higher.
- ☀️Surface pumps, as the name suggests, stay on the surface. These are easier to install and costs less.
How does a Solar Water Pump work?
The working of a solar water pump is effortless. It should be placed where there is no shadow, and enough sunlight falls, which is essential for its functioning.
The solar panels convert solar energy into electricity or current. So it transforms one form of energy into another. The solar panels generate direct current from the solar energy, which may also be converted to alternating current with an inverter’s help.
The DC or AC goes to the pump, and water is drawn from a pond, wells, rivers, or other water sources.
Things to know before installing a Solar Water Pump
Like every mechanism or machinery, solar water pumps have also got some pros and cons that a customer or a user should be aware of before buying or installing a solar water pump.
Pros of a Solar Water Pump
- ☀️Low maintenance is one of the main pros of solar water pumps. It does not have many movable parts, and controlling it is easy with the controller’s help.
- ☀️Its functioning is comparatively less costly. As it does not need any fuel to work. So there is a cost for buying fuels. Solar water pumps also work in the absence of other sources of energy or electricity. So less amount of electricity bill. It works using solar energy, which we get free of cost.
- ☀️Solar water pumps are handy in remote villages and areas where there is a problem or scarcity of electricity and other energy sources. It helps in irrigation in these areas where water cannot be supplied to the fields using electricity or other sources.
- ☀️Solar water pumps are very eco-friendly. They do not use any fuel or any other energy source that may cause pollution.
Cons of a Solar Water Pump
One of the main disadvantages of a solar water pump is its advantages: it operates using solar energy.
It needs sunlight to be functional. More the sunlight, the more efficiency.
But it becomes a problem when there is less sunlight or it’s dark.
It cannot pump water at the night.
Although the maintenance and use of a solar water pump are less costly, the machinery purchase is expensive. The high cost of solar panels makes the machinery very costly.
Is it worth it to invest in a solar Water Pump?
Although the installation cost is higher for solar water pumps keeping the pros of the solar water pump, it is safe to say that investing in solar water pumps is highly reliable.
It brings hope for the residents of remote villages and areas.
It brings hope for the farmer that he does not have to wait for it to rain or does not need to worry about the use of electricity.
Despite the high cost of installing solar water pumps, the life span of a solar water pump is very long, and as stated before, the maintenance of a solar water pump is deficient.